As people start thinking about the process of an upcoming move, they frequently start thinking about wanting to go through all of their belongings before they start packing so they do not move items that they no longer need or want. There are so many options for what to do with your unwanted items that it can be hard to decide what to do with them. Should you hold a garage sale? Should you sell your items using one of the many different options available online? Should you donate your items to a charitable organization? What option is best for you? Prodigy Moving & Storage offers helpful tips below.
Garage Sale to Get Rid of Things Before Moving
For years, garage sales have been the go to option for making money off of items that you no longer need or want. Having a garage sale is truly a simple process. You assemble all of the items that you want to sell, arrange them in your yard, driveway, or garage. Posting signs around your neighborhood to lead people to your house is always a good way to market your sale. Some people will choose to price all of their items ahead of time and label each item carefully. Others will simply have an idea in their head of the price they would prefer for each item. The latter method clearly takes less time but some shoppers are discouraged by the process of having to ask for pricing. Typically customers that are at a garage sale are hunting for items that are unique to their own individual style or they are looking for a bargain. The amount of money you can make at a garage sale will largely determine on the foot traffic that you have the day of your sale and what type of items you have to offer. The main pro of having a garage sale is that you can sell all of your items at one location at one time. The cons include that the weather can ruin your sale, it can consume your entire week preparing for and hosting your garage sale, and that over the years garage sales are not always the most profitable way to get rid of your used items.
Online Selling Options to Declutter Before Moving
With the advance in technology and social media, there is an overwhelming amount of options for your to sell your items online. Some options are specified for certain types of items while others are great options for any type of item. Here are some of our favorite online selling options:
• Craig’s List: You can sell any type of item by category on Craig’s List. You take pictures, upload the pictures, describe the item, and then meet up with the buyer to sell your item.
• Offer Up: Similar to Craig’s List, Offer Up has the flexibility for you to sell any type of item you are ready to part with.
• Letgo: Letgo is an intuitive app that allows you to snap a photo, upload your item, describe the item, and meet up with the buyer to sell your item.
• eBay: Many people choose to sell unique items, high-end goodies, collectors’ items, and more on eBay. eBay allows the seller the option to simply deal only online with their buyers. You do have to ship the items to the buyer which includes an additional step.
• Etsy: If you have valuable jewelry, Etsy can be the perfect place to list it. Buyers in the market for vintage or unique jewelry will frequently search Etsy to locate the item they are looking for. You are typically able to get more money out of your items on Etsy than other selling options.
• Bookscouter: Bookscouter will connect you with the best-paying and most reputable buyback companies online so that you can sell your books that you are ready to get rid of.
Donating Unwanted Items
Many people will decide that trying to sell their items just is not worth all of the energy it requires. Donating your items to a charitable organization will give you a tax deduction that may truly benefit you on your taxes.
Moving Services in Chatsworth, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Calabasas, Glendale, Burbank & Greater Los Angeles, California
No matter what choice you make when you are getting rid of items that you do not want to move with you, give us a call when you are ready to move. Prodigy Moving & Storage provides professional moving services to aid you in your moving process.